Undergraduate Public Health Scholars
Welcome to our 2021 UPHS Scholars!
Kimberly Aguirre (Mentor: Alda De Andrade E Pires, DVM, MPVM, PhD )
Jessica Rangel (Mentor: Candice Price, PhD )
Harjeet Mann (Mentor: Leigh Ann Simmons, PhD, MFT)
Catelyn Edwards (Mentor: Leigh Ann Simmons, PhD, MFT )
The UPHS website has moved! Please check out current information at the *new* site: UC Davis Undergraduate Public Health Scholars
Applications are open now!
The goal of the Undergraduate Public Health Scholars program is to provide a mentored summer research experience in public health sciences. Students will have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in one of the many types of research activities conducted by faculty in the department, from epidemiology of health disparities, to environmental health and health policy. Students will receive a stipend of $4500 for a 10-week program in research for the summer of 2021. Students are expected to work 40 hours per week, meet weekly with faculty mentors, attend a weekly scientific skills seminar conducted by Educational Enrichment & Outreach Programs (EEOP)/ Biology Undergraduate Scholars Program (BUSP), and present their research at the EEOP/BUSP (virtual)Poster Session.
Eligibility: UC Davis undergraduates who have completed at least 3 years and have at least 1 more year prior to graduation AND meet one of the following criteria:
- UC Davis Educational Opportunity Program
- Identify as a historically excluded racial or ethnic minority (African American, American Indians/Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians/Pacific Islanders, Hispanic/Latinx)
- Have a disability
- Participate in the BUSP or BUSP-STARS.
- Come from a disadvantaged background as defined by the NIH (See the EEOP eligibility page for specific details)
- Students do not have to be in the College of Biological Sciences. Students from ALL majors/disciplines (including non-STEM majors) are encouraged to apply.
To apply: Interested students should apply via the College of Biological Sciences Educational Enrichment and Outreach Programs for Upper Division Students. Finalists will be contacted to meet with a faculty member to arrange an interview to meet and discuss potential projects. Click here for the application.
The Undergraduate Public Health Scholars Program is funded by the UC Davis Department of Public Health Sciences.
Other Undergraduate Opportunities in Public Health
Health Career Connection: Paid internships for rising seniors and recent graduates