Structural Inequities, Aging and Dementia
- Examining the long-term impacts of exposure to structural racism and structural violence over the life course on aging and cognitive decline among African-Americans. (PI, Co-investigators: Paola Gilsanz, ScD, Nicole Kravitz-Wirtz, PhD; Senior investigators: Lisa Barnes, PhD; Rachel Whitmer, PhD; Maria Glymour PhD); Collaborators: Shekinah Fashaw-Walters, PhD, Rachel Hardeman, PhD
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Describing the roles, responsibilities, and experiences of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion leadership in US schools of medicine (PI: Co-investigators: Eraka Bath, MD, Mark Simon MA, Caitlin Jade Esparza MS3/4, Maya London MS1)
- Understanding recent reforms and current practices in medical school school admissions: Advancing diversity or reproducing racism? (PI; Co-investigators: Rachel Hardeman, PhD, Tonya Fancher MD, Mark Henderson MD, Mark Simon MA)
- Characterizing experiences of historically excluded students during the COVID-19 pandemic, preparing and applying for graduate programs in the health professions (PI: Co-investigators: Maribel Ortega BS, Yelitza Campos, BS, Bozhidar Chakalov, MA, Efrain Talamantes, MD, MBA, MS)
- Examining workplace culture and diversity, equity and inclusion in health services research and health policy (PI: Taylor Rogers, MPH; Co-investigators: Tongtan Chantarat, Carmen Mitchell; Role: Senior Investigator)
- Measuring the outcomes of the Community Health Scholars programs in the UC Davis School of Medicine (PI: Melody Tran-Reina, MD; Students: UC Davis Rural PRIME track, Maya London MS1; Yelitza Campos, BS. Role: Senior Investigator)
- Systematic review of evidence of the effects of post-baccalaureate programs on physician workforce practice outcomes (PI: Mallory Johnson, MPA; Role: Senior Investigator)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Experiences of low-income college students in selection of health insurance, access and quality of care (Co-PI: Vicky Vong, UCD-Y4)
- Impact of rural hospital closures on spatial access to care for Black communities in the US South (PI: Arianna Planey, PhD; Role: Senior Investigator; Co-investigators: Donald Planey, PhD, Sandy Wong, PhD, Sara McLafferty, PhD)
(Projects on hold)
Healthcare in California’s San Joaquin Valley
- Describing the experiences of primary care providers in a rural and agricultural region: challenges, successful strategies, recruitment and retention (PI).
- Describing SJV community health centers: locations, services, and reviews of quality of care (PI).
Medicaid and Workforce
- Describing linguistic capacity of Medi-Cal (Medicaid) primary care providers
- Iv S and Ko M. Examining The Number of San Joaquin Valley Medicaid Primary Care Providers That Offer a Southeast Asian Language. APHA Annual Meeting. Nov 2019.
- Using managed care plan data to assess Medi-Cal (Medicaid) participation by active licensed physicians
- Examining linguistic accessibility of Medi-Cal (Medicaid) managed care plan documentation
Community Health Centers and Rural Health Clinics: Supply and Distribution
- Estimating combined effects of Community Health Centers funding and Medicaid expansion on geographic distribution of primary care safety net providers (PI)
- Long-term trends in primary care practice in underserved areas among graduates of participating institutions of the AMA Changing Medical Education Initiative (PI; Co-investigators: Marina Marin; Senior investigators: Tonya Fancher, MD, Marc Triola MD, Mark Henderson, MD)