Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Understanding recent reforms and current practices in medical school school admissions: Advancing diversity or reproducing racism? (PI; Co-investigators: Rachel Hardeman, PhD, Tonya Fancher MD, Mark Henderson MD, Mark Simon MA)
- Describing the roles, responsibilities, and experiences of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion leadership in US schools of medicine (PI: Co-investigators: Eraka Bath, MD, Mark Simon MA, Caitlin Jade Esparza, MD)
- Measuring the outcomes of the Community Health Scholars programs in the UC Davis School of Medicine (PI: Melody Tran-Reina, MD; Students: UC Davis Rural PRIME track, Maya London MS2; Yelitza Campos, MPH. Role: Senior Investigator)
Health Policy and Health Services Research
- Examining workplace culture and diversity, equity and inclusion in health services research and health policy (PI: Taylor Rogers, PhD, MPH; Co-investigators: Tongtan Chantarat, PHD, Carmen Mitchell, MPH; Role: Senior Investigator)
- Characterizing experiences of historically and structurally excluded students during the preparing and applying for graduate programs in the health professions (PI: Co-investigators: Maribel Ortega BS, Yelitza Campos, BS, Bozhidar Chakalov, MA, Efrain Talamantes, MD, MBA, MS), specifically impacts of educational experiences and costs on application outcomes
Ko M, Henderson M, Fancher T, London MR*, Simon M, Hardeman R. US medical school admissions leaders’ experiences with barriers and advancement of diversity, equity, and inclusion. JAMA Network Open. 2023. Feb 24; 6(2):e2254928.
Chantarat T*, Rogers T*, Mitchell C*, Ko M. Perceptions of workplace climate and diversity, equity, and inclusion within health services and policy research. Health Services Research. 2022. Jul 9. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.1403
Coffman J, Fix M, Ko M. Headed for a drought? California physician supply and distribution: July 2018. California Healthcare Foundation. Available at: https://www.chcf.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/CAPhysicianSupply2018.pdf
Ko M, Heslin K, Edelstein R, Grumbach K. The role of medical education in reducing healthcare disparities: the first ten years of the UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2007. May: 22(5): 625-31
Ko M, Edelstein R, Heslin K, Rajagopalan S, Wilkerson L, Colburn L, Grumbach K. Impact of the University of California, Los Angeles/Charles R. Drew University Medical Education Program on medical students’ intentions to practice in underserved areas. Academic Medicine. 2005. Sep: 80(9): 803-8
Commentaries and essays:
Ko M. Improving peer review for structural racism and health research. Health Affairs July 10, 2023. 10.1377/forefront.20230707.6457
Ko M. Sickening: Anti-Black racism and health disparities in the United States. J Health Polit Policy Law 2023; 10640241
Esparza CJ, Simon M, Bath E, Ko M. Doing the work — or not: The promise and limitations of diversity, equity and inclusion in US medical schools and academic medical centers. Frontiers in Public Health. 2022. June. org/10.3389/fpubh.2022.900283
Ko M. The anti-Asian racism of US COVID-19 policy. KevinMD. May 4, 2022.
Wallace DD, Urquiza K, Raifman R, Ko M. Putting equity at the heart of the US government’s rollout of covid tests and masks. BMJ 2022;376:o344
Ko M. Racism in my medical education. Health Affairs. 2020;39(6):1087-91.
Ko M, Shim R. Dismantling institutional racism: It’s time to abandon the U.S. News & World Report Rankings. AM Rounds, Beyond the Pages of Academic Medicine. December 29, 2020
Ko M, Ton H. The not underrepresented minorities: Asian Americans, diversity and admissions. Academic Medicine. 2020.Feb:95(2). 184-189
Ko M, Ton H. Why does the Harvard case on Asian American discrimination matter for academic medicine? AM Rounds, Beyond the Pages of Academic Medicine. December 3, 2019
Ko M, Sanders C, de Guia S, Shimkhada R, Ponce NA. Managing diversity to eliminate disparities: A framework for health. Health Affairs. 2018. Sep:37(9): 1383-93